The German equivalent for the saying “That’s all Greek to me!” uses “Spanish” instead of “Greek”. Anyone who doesn’t only go to Spain on holiday but has actual business relations with the country can surely understand why. This is linked to the Spanish mindset, but also to the numerous differences in many areas between German and Spanish laws and business practices.
The Spaniards have a long tradition of mistrust towards their jurisdiction, which explains why there still is today a tendency to negotiate contracts and discuss business relationships until the commodity or purchase price risk lies with the contract partner, in order to use that position of strength to improve the conditions at the appropriate time.
Spanish law is very formal, both with respect to substantive law and procedural law, which represents further risks. This is why a Spanish lawyer should always be consulted in all affairs that are linked to Spanish law, regardless of the level of comprehension of the Spanish language.
Thanks to our long-term close cooperation with a reputable Spanish law firm, we are in a position to handle all possible legal affairs for our clients in Spain as well.
Range of services
● Initiation, completion and examination of business, commercial
and company contracts with Spanish contracting parties
● Creation and domiciliation of Spanish commercial partnerships
and stock corporations
● Counselling in the framework of property purchase
and sale agreements
● Advice and representation in corporation and shareholder matters
● Evaluation and information about recording and reporting duties
● Consultation and support in tax law affairs