No other country in the world has a body of case law and academic literature for tax law as considerable as Germany. There is thus no tax consultant who is able to keep up with the unstoppable flow of new tax provisions and laws. This also applies to tax authorities, and explains why half of today’s tax assessments are substantively or formally flawed.
The typical tax consulting activities consist in the preparation of accounting and the annual financial statements, as well as the provision of ongoing tax advice.
These tasks are already in themselves extensive and demanding, tax consultants therefore only give limited attention to conducting opposition or complaint proceedings, which is why tax lawyers are often included in the process.
Criminal tax law can be relevant for anyone. A simple control report is sufficient. When there’s somebody ringing the bell in the morning, and that instead of the postman, it is the tax investigation team that is standing at the door, it is important to keep calm, to call one’s legal assistance and to avoid any escalation with the investigation officials.
You have the right to refuse any statement without your legal assistance, to abstain from spontaneously providing documents, not to grant informal favours, and to eschew suppression of evidence. Once the investigation is over, it is time to assess the situation with your legal adviser and to prepare a defence strategy on the basis of a critical inventory.
Range of services
● Tax law
- Execution of opposition proceedings
- Advice in the context of external tax audits
- Drafting of expert opinions on tax law issues
- Management of proceedings before tax tribunals
- Drawing up and examination of tax planning models
- Advice and protection of interests in general matters of tax law
● Criminal tax law
- Defence in all stages of criminal tax proceedings
- Examination and filing of legal remedies against coercive
and enforcement measures
- Development of defence strategies
- Drafting and verification of mutual agreements
- Proceedings with the investigating authorities
and the assessing tax office
- Defence against state infringements
- Representation in main hearings